Engine oil is what lubricates a car’s engine, allowing it to run smoothly and last longer. Car owners must maintain a car’s engine by changing the oil and using the oil appropriate for their cars make and model. An important part of routine car maintenance is regularly getting an oil change. The necessary frequency of an oil change has become a point of contention among experts. The Engine Oil Bible maintains that engine oil can’t be changed often enough, but Nordic Group insists that, with the advent of detergent oils and multi-weight oils, some vehicles can go as far as 6,000 miles before needing an oil change. The best course of action is to check the owner’s manual and follow manufacturer’s recommendations. When the time comes for you to get an oil change in Los Angeles, CA, call Carotech Automotive and Tires at (424) 283-4303.
Get Your Oil Change Today
Convenient services for an oil change in Los Angeles, CA is available at Carotech Automotive and Tires. Oil is the lifeblood of your car, and we all know that regular oil changes are paramount to the health and longevity of your engine. When it comes to your engine, taking care of the simple things will make your life much less complicated. This simple procedure, if left undone for too long can cause premature engine wear, and lead to complete motor failure. Taking your car in for your routine oil change will also give us the opportunity to perform a courtesy check for other issues which may surface in the future if the problem goes unchecked.
Can You Do an Oil Change Yourself?
An obvious benefit of changing one’s own oil is saving money, but oil change services frequently advertise bargains. If you need to add oil to your car, you do not need to take your car to a mechanic. However, if the oil light stays on or lights up shortly after adding oil, there may be a leak, and a mechanic should look at the car. If you want to complete the oil change on your own, here is a step by step guide to help you through the process.
- Take your car out for a drive, this will warm up the oil and allow it to drain easier.
- Park your car in a flat spot, keep it in gear and set the emergency brakes, you may also want to put blocks behind your wheels as another safety measure.
- Use a jack to lift up the front end of the car and place jack stands to make sure the vehicle is stable.
- Find the oil pan and loosen the nut on the bottom of the pan, if you loosen it too much you will spill oil all over yourself and the ground.
- Place a drain pan under the oil pan and then take off the nut you loosened, be patient it will take a moment for the oil to drain.
- Find the oil filter and take it off with the oil filter wrench, take care, the oil inside the filter will be quite hot.
- Take the oil cap off from under the hood. If you have the time, let all the old oil drain out of your car, this should take about 30 minutes.
- Coat the seal of the new oil filter with new oil and put it on the car. Place a new seal on the drain plug and place it back into the pan. Remove the drip pan and dispose of the old oil properly.
- Use a funnel to put new oil back into your car. Replace the oil cap and start the engine. Use your dipstick to make sure the oil is at the proper level for your vehicle.
Schedule Your Oil Change
Ultimately, we believe it is more economically sound for you to bring us your car for your oil change for a number of reasons. Not dealing with the headache of properly disposing of the old oil will make your life a little less complicated. Second, changing oil is a procedure we do every day and our mechanics will take care of every detail quickly. Finally, the short trip to Carotech Automotive and Tires for an oil change in Los Angeles, CA gives us the opportunity to check the health of your vehicle as a whole and can save you a multitude of unpleasant surprises. Call us today at (424) 283-4303 to schedule your next oil change.